Thursday, November 03, 2011

Cosplay Interview: Sami

I guess due to the snow we had last weekend, we will continue to visit Canada and stop over to see another wonderful cosplay. She is also part of the MOETRONcos group that did a kick ass set of BRS characters.

She is another cosplayer that takes the details of the character to heart. You will see some characters that will showcase her details very nicely (like Monster Hunter). For some added excitement, we have a video presentation as well featuring her as Miku which you can see later in the interview.

Lets stop the jabbering and get into the interview:

What is your name where do you reside and what is your age?

My name is Sami, I'm 19 and live in Toronto, Canada!

What first started you on the road to cosplay?

I had some friends in an older grade in middle school. They were the ones who introduced me to anime and took me to my first convention. I think I was 12 years old at the time..? I already had an interest in videogames so it was only the next step, I guess.

How do you choose which characters you will Cosplay?

It depends. I prefer characters with blue eyes because I'm unable to wear contact lenses. It also depends on what my cosplay group, MOETRONcos, is up to. I like independent characters, or ones with vibrant personalities.

I was able to catch the cosplay of Strength from BRS in pre-build. I can see you really used some quality building materials. I think our readers would be interested in how long it took you to build this and what was the final cost for everything?

STR took quite a while to complete. It took about 3 sheets of insulation foam board, 7 cans of black spray paint and something like 1.8L of gesso to prime it. There was also a lot of cardboard involved for reinforcing the fingers and joints. Cardboard also reinforced all long the inside of the frame of the hands. I also used screws to help keep everything together (it also added to that robotic feeling I think the hands possess).

Everything was sanded by hand and cut with exacto knives. I had some help from my friends, but some of the construction and all of the assembly was done by myself. I would say I dropped about $250+ on the entire costume. I borrowed the shoes from my mom and styled the wig myself. You can catch some of the progress on my blog and the wig tutorial I made on the MOETRONcos YouTube channel.

In reference to Strength, how heavy were those hands and did you ‘accidentally’ punch anyone at the con wearing them?

They were so heavy! D: I couldn't bend or lift my arms after 3 hours of wearing them. My buddy Thomas was helping me maneuver through doors and making sure I didn't give anyone a black eye!

What conventions or shows have you cosplayed at recently and were you there by yourself or with a group?

While I go to many small gatherings in the Toronto area, I make appearances at Anime North and FanExpo every year. Someday I'd like to go to the USA for a convention. I go on my own when my group MOETRONcos isn't available.

DRUM ROLL please . . . This is a first for us at 2old4anime as we have a video of Sami singing and dancing as Hatsune Miku. What made you decide to really take the cosplay to the next level and do a video song as Miku?

Haha, I've always wanted to go to a masquerade as Miku but never had the confidence. So I decided to try dancing to the song Hello Planet. I think my neighbors are used to seeing me in weird outfits.. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D

Video Below :D

When not cosplaying, what do you do?

I'm a university student, studying English literature. Last summer I wrote technical manuals for an company who deals with military organizations. I also like to film JPOP dances and blog!

For any aspiring cosplayers a little shy, what words of wisdom do you have for them to get started?

Cosplayers are probably the most friendly people I have ever met. They're so easy to get along with because we already have something in common! Do what you love and remember you have nothing to lose! If you see me at a convention, by all means say hi and we'll hangout! :D

Where can we catch more of your Cosplay at?

I have a Blog, Twitter, Coscom and a YouTube account.

I update frequently on my Twitter and Blog, where you'll find posts on cosplay progress, beauty reviews and posts about my daily life.


Our Photographers: Rockout | Thomas Truong | Droo

Some Additional Cosplay Photographs





I want to thank Sami for taking the time to write to me and to the Photographer for the great photos that you get to see here today.

Want to be my next interviewed COSPLAY STAR?
Drop me a line a bluedrakon (at) gmail (dot) com!

3 comments:

  1. We have another Hatsune Miku fan in cosplay. Nice cosplaying and the costumes and props sure are expensive and hard to source. More cosplayers' interview and keep them coming...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks so much for the interview! It was a lot of fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dennis aka Katsuden ~ we always see the end results of the cosplay, but never the road it took to get there.

    @Sami ~ it was fun to do and am glad you enjoyed it to.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just Read and Run, leave me a note about what you thought of the blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...