Friday, June 05, 2009

Ordering from Overseas? Don't use Credit Cards

So I was not sure what to expect. I had recently heard that the credit card companies were trying to make more money by jamming us consumers again. So imagine my wonderful surprise when I checked my AMEX card bill. What I found was that they added a transaction fee from Yen to Dollars. It was a 2.7% fee added to the final price for the conversion. This may be only happening in the United States, but let me know!

Now I knew about this if you traveled abroad and made purchases, but this is the first for online transactions. This after they bumped my interest rate up 3% for no damn reason but to make money off of me. I was never late and always paid more or full each month. It seems like they always go after the people that try to make a living.

So if you use credit cards, be forewarned that you will have to review the card you are using. I am not sure about Master Card or Visa, but I betcha, they are doing it or will do it soon. I guess using PayPal may be the way. I did review their policies and it does not say anything about charging extra fees for sending money, just receiving it. I will have to test this with Play-Asia, E2046 or HLJ soon.

Let me know if you are seeing this on your credit card statements as well.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I have never been charged any additional fee for conversion with my Master Card. Which means there are 2 possibilities. Either Master Card doesn't charge any conversion fees, or it's something that happens only in some states and not here in the Czech Republic.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just Read and Run, leave me a note about what you thought of the blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...