Saturday, August 15, 2009

American copies of Foreign Films

Late again on my entries - sheesh - really getting bogged down with this packing stuff.

Like the title states > why is it that American film makers are "borrowing" ideas from Foreign Films? A few years ago there was an especially high increase with remaking Japanese Horror films. They are even releasing The Ring Three next year which is another ripoff (see my list below). I even remember watching the Lion King and going WTF!, isn't this a Disney ripoff of Kimba? I was surprised when I found that Bangkok Dangerous was actually made earlier in Thai. It was nice to see that the Pang Brothers did get their names on the movie.


I really feel bad for Hollywood when they can't even imagine new movies and have to "borrow" from overseas to get their next big hit. Here is my 'short" list of movie off the top of my head.

What movies have you found that were remakes or just plain ripoffs?

KEY: Foreign = United States

Anime
Kimba the White Lion (Japan 1960's) = The Lion King (1994)

Horror
Ring (Japan 1998) = The Ring (2002)
Ring 2 (Japan 1999) = The Ring 2 (2005)
Ring 0: Birthday (Japan 2000) = The Ring 3 (2011)
Ju-on: The Grudge (Japan 2003) = The Grudge (2004)
Ju-on: The Grudge 2 (Japan 2003) = The Grudge 2 (2006)

Action
The Seven Samurai (Japan 1954) = The Magnificent Seven (1960)
Bangkok Dangerous (Thai 1999 ) = Bangkok Dangerous (2008)

PS: Don't forget my Contest will end tomorrow at 4AM est! Only got 4 submissions so far, so you better get them in before it is too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just Read and Run, leave me a note about what you thought of the blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...