Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Movie Review: Gamer

Movie: Gamer
Run Time: 1 hrs 35 mins

Rated: R

Genre: Action / Adventure

Directed by:
Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor
Story by: Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor

Now this has been out for a while and on video, so I am not going to write anything big about. I will say that this is a modern version of The Running Man (which I used to own on VHS) and Death Race (2008 version - also own on DVD).

The premise is that you are a criminal that is controlled by an outside person during a Real-Time, Real Fighting game. Pretty much the Gamer uses the criminal (known as an Avatar) to fight their way through the layout to a safe base. If you make it through 30 "sessions" successfully, you are granted your release. This all actually started by Ken Castle who created a game called "Society". Think of Sims, but you use a real person as your avatar - literally.

I am a big fan of both Gerald Butler (plays Kable) and Michael C Hall (plays Ken Castle). They play off each other quite well in this. Michael C Hall (Castle) brings his flare for being a demented and all powerful psycho-path to the next level in this movie. I am not sure why he picks these roles, but it suits him just fine. Gerald (Kable) of course is the otherside of this coin - strong, independent and a huge will to survive

I need Brains!

Ludacris also plays a key role in this movie as the leader of the Humanz. Hackers who want to free those that are in these games. He helps both Simon and Kable connect in ways not availble otherwise. This allows Kable to free himself from the confines of the game to look for his wife and daughter.

Hackers

The surprise for me was Logan Lerman (plays Simon) on this. His character is well portrayed and though we have a limited understanding on who he is, I found myself liking him. From reviewing his other movies, he seems to be a new up and comer that we should be keeping an eye on.

Gamer and Avatar

My wife actually loved this as it had one of her favorite things - bloody violence. I like how the story unfolded and how it all came together. They even wrapped it up in the end quickly and quietly.

This is a must have to own for any gamers list. It really shows what is possible in the near future. For the rest of us Noobies - it is a great action flick that should be in your collection as well.

Overall: A

5 comments:

  1. wasn't as crappy as I thought it would be went I watched it. I'd give it a B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, really? An A???? It's definitely cool if you like it, but you'd say this movie's on par with "The Matrix," "Lord of the Rings," or "The Fifth Element????" I saw Death Race, and thought it was a good movie in relation to what I was expecting, but I'd give it a "B" at the very best. You gotta leave room for the really, REALLY good movies bro :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sick one day and decided to rent this just as something to watch while I laid on the couch. It definitely wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but I also didn't even care to finish it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ everyone - I was planning on making it a B rated movie. But I really liked some of the parts - especially at the clubs in Society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DEXTER! Well now I need to watch this (adds to Netflix)

    ReplyDelete

Don't just Read and Run, leave me a note about what you thought of the blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...