Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Cosplay Interview: OwlDepot

Taking another small trip in the US to the Mid West to visit another cosplayer named OwlDepot.

She was on a Yoko Cosplay Friday I did and wanted to drop by for chat. Once you check out her links, you will see she is quite unique on one regard. She does multiple versions of the same character. I don't mean just a couple, but many more.

The photo you see to the right is just one of 4 version of Juvia Loxar from Fairy Tail. I really liked this as you get to see some of your favorite characters cosplayed in different versions which I find really cool.

Well, better get off the mic and turn this over to our Guest:

What is your name and where do you reside?

My name is Bianca, but my cosplay handle is OwlDepot. I currently reside in Phoenix, Arizona.

What first started you on the road to cosplay?

I first became interested it when I made a costume of Temari from Naruto for Halloween. After that I learned about anime conventions and cosplay, and planned out a few costumes I might like to do of characters I like. Some of my first characters included Yoko from Gurren Lagann, Nico Robin form One Piece, and Temari from Naruto.

How do you choose which characters you will Cosplay?

I mostly cosplay characters from series I like. I tend to base my decision to cosplay a character based on their personality quirks, design, and if I like the character. I try to cosplay according to my body type, and sometimes I'm asked by friends to fill in a character in their cosplay group. My friends seem to typecast me as the big breasted and/or tall girl or the female nurturing character.

Over the years, what was the hardest cosplay you did? Was it due to design difficulty or technical issues at a convention?

I'd say the hardest costume would be the Kallen flightsuit I made. It took many drafts and over a year of working on and off on it, for me to complete it.

We usually see someone cosplay a style or two of a character. I see though that you have done 4 of Juvia Loxar, 5 of Nico Robin and 6 of Kallen just to name a few. What made you decide on doing so many versions of some of the characters?

I think it just shows how much a like the character and cosplaying them. I think the wig is one of the bigger investments I make in the cosplay, so I think it would be prudent to be able to reuse it if I can cosplay other outfits of a favorite character.

What conventions or shows have you cosplayed at and have you gotten any awards?

I don't really compete often, I'd rather spend time with friends or doing photoshoots.

I've been to Anime Expo 2008-2011, Sabotencon 2008-09 and 2011, Phoenix Comic Con 2009, Katsucon 2009-10, Anime LA 2009-2012, and Fanime 2010-2011.


When not cosplaying, what do you do?

When not cosplaying, I dabble in a variety of things such as drawing, painting, billiards, hiking, and sewing plushies.

For any aspiring cosplayers a little shy, what words of wisdom do you have for them to get started?

Make sure you start off simple and progress towards the more complicated stuff as you feel more comfortable with your craftsmanship.

Don't be afraid to ask for help or advice on things.

A good way to make sure you have a good time is having a cosplay buddy, that you can both dress up together at a con. I love cosplaying with a partner, it makes the experience more fun!

Where can we catch more of your Cosplay at?

ACP | Cosplay.com | deviantArt

Shout Out to Our Photographers:
Ljinto | RickyfromVegas | Shiroin | Darkain | Jason@i360 | EBK | kraz_ekid | Anna Fischer | Chasimus Prime | Jason Goose Gallegos


Some Additional Cosplay Photographs










I want to thank OwlDepot for taking the time to write to me and to the Photographers for the great photos that you get to see here today.

Want to be my next interviewed COSPLAY STAR? Drop me a line a bluedrakon (at) gmail (dot) com!

4 comments:

  1. Thax for sharing and nice assets. No wonder her friends typecast her as the big breasted and/or tall girl or the female nurturing character. I second that. I hope you don't take offence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she wrote it AND supplied the swimsuit version of Juvia Loxar - not sure she will take offense - hopefully :P

      No matter what, she does a beautiful cosplay of who ever she is doing

      Delete
  2. Bianca is blessed with mile long legs, a plentiful chest AND perfect milky white skin. One of my friends has been mad crushing on her since forever. She also sews costumes like a madwoman!
    Besides that, she really knows how to pick the chara that fit her best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - we can all see why your friends was crushing on her. I think I have to agree that she does a great job picking her cosplay characters extremely well

      Delete

Don't just Read and Run, leave me a note about what you thought of the blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...