Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cosplayer Interview: Nebulaluben

Welcome to another Cosplayer Interview. This week we are going to Europe for our next cosplayer ~ Nebulaluben.

I found her while trying to research a future cosplay post of Poison from Street Fighter. However, I was really taken back by her other cosplay of some great gaming characters. One of my favs was Bayonetta that I think she really did exceptionally well. Even down to the guns on her shoes.

Not only is her cosplay well thought out to match the characters well, some of the special effects are just stunning. You will see what I mean in the photographs you will see. Just so you know, I won't have the space to showcase all her cosplay, so hit her sites at the end of the interview.

Which is something I guess I should be getting to next, so lets start!

What is your name, where do you reside and what is your age?

My name is Laura Sánchez, I live in Madrid (Spain) and I'm 25 years old.

What first started you on the road to cosplay?

My boyfriend and I already knew cosplay by watching cosplayers on the internet. Then in 2008 we attended our first convention and we saw a lot of wonderful costumes that catched our attention.

So we decided we were going to start cosplaying.

How do you choose which characters you will Cosplay?

When I began cosplaying, I cosplayed characters that I liked more for their story and background than for their designs. Now I usually pay more attention to the design than to the context. I sometimes choose them because the design represents a challenge for me.

Anyway, I usually cosplay characters of games that I've played or games that I want to play.
The 90% of the characters I cosplay have in common they're warrior women. I don't like kawaii characters.

I noticed that you are extremely talented in making your own cosplays. Noting the amount of detail you incorporate into them, which one has been the biggest challenge for you so far and why?

Thank you! The biggest challenge for me was making Hilde's (Soulcalibur V) armor. That's the most difficult costume I've made along with Tali (Mass Effect). It made me suffer a lot, I had to repeat a lot of pieces many times and I had to make it very quickly because I was in a SCV group for a con and I wanted to have it in time. When I finished I couldn't believe it and I'm very happy with the result.

Side Question: What is your least and most favorite material to work with and why?

My favourite fabric is faux leather. I like its texture. I think it's the fabric that I use the most. Every costume I've made has some faux leather piece. Although it's a little hard to sew, I like how it looks.
My favourite materials are craft foam, PVC sheets and fiberglass. Now we've made a vacuumforming table and I think I'm starting to love PETG plastic!

The fabric I hate the most is spandex. I like how it looks but drawing patterns on it is terribly hard and it's very difficult for me to adjust because of its elasticity. And I don't specially hate any material. If I have to hate something that involves working with materials that is sanding. I absolutely hate sanding.

You have had some cosplays with tall hair pieces (Laura-Castlevania and Bayonetta). Are there any special precautions you take for hair that is like that for cosplays so it doesn’t fall off?

Yes! It's very easy: using hairpins. Lots of them all around my head to adjust and hold the wig in place.

I saw (and heard) that you are quite the pianist outside your other amazing talents. How is it to not only listen to the soundtracks, but also to play them?

I've been playing the piano by ear since I was a child and about 5 years ago I began taking classes. Videogames are an inspiration for me and I feel an extra motivation to play their music.

When I upload videos, I try to play the music as it is but while playing on my own I improvise and make my own extended versions, haha. I have a fantastic time playing.

What so far has been the most exciting moment for you when cosplaying at conventions?

I usually get very excited when I receive processed pictures of the latest photo shoot. I have a great time while shooting and seeing the results is very exciting for me.

About two years ago I attended a con in Madrid wearing my Bayonetta cosplay and it was an unforgettable experience. I was lucky to meet Hiroshi Matsuyama (the president of Cyberconnect 2, who was there presenting a video game), a friend of Hideki Kamiya, the creator of Bayonetta himself. He took some pics of me, uploaded them to his Twitter page and Hideki commented on the pics!! I still can't believe that.

When not cosplaying, what do you do?

I'm an occupational theraphist. I work in a geriatric centre making activities with old people.
I also like music and astronomy. I usually read a little about astronomy every day and I'm aware of the news. And my main hobby is playing videogames.

For any aspiring cosplayers a little shy, what words of wisdom do you have for them to get started?

Have fun! 

When I began cosplaying I was a kind of stupid jerk. Well, that happened only with my first costume. Then I started meeting nice people and seeing cosplay is mainly for fun. Now I only try to improve myself and get better for my own sake, by making costumes I like and trying to focus on the good things.

Everyone has a different point of view about cosplaying. The part I enjoy the most is crafting and photo shoots, but other people prefer acting or going to cons. I think you have to find the activity you like the most about cosplaying and have fun with it.

Also, for the young ones, you have to remember that cosplay is only a hobby. Don't quit going to class because you want to make a costume. There are things in life more important than cosplaying (although they're pretty much boring for sure).

Where can we catch more of your Cosplay at? 

Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |   deviantArt  |  CosCom  |  Flickr

Here is a Shout Out to our Photographers: 

Jose Manchado  |  Jesús Clares Hidrico
 
Some Additional Cosplay Photographs
 
 
 
 
 

I want to thank Nebulaluben for taking the time to write to me and to the Photographers for the great photos that you get to see here today.

Want to be my next interviewed COSPLAY STAR or know someone that you want to recommend? Drop me a line a bluedrakon (at) gmail (dot) com!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just Read and Run, leave me a note about what you thought of the blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...