Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Cosplay Interview: Vickybunnyangel

We have the distinct pleasure of having Vickybunnyangel for our Cosplay Interview. I have to say that I am amazed by the number of gifted cosplayers from this region of the world (Canada).

She has done some really extravagant photo shoots that really show you her fashion side. I am seeing this more frequently where cosplayers are crossing over to fashion.

You also have to check out her on YouTube. It really showcases what these cosplayers do to get these designs created for our enjoyment. Speaking of costumes, I am excited to let you know that some photos here are being shown for the first time. Yep, you will see some stunning cosplay photos that have never been posted anywhere else ~ WORLD EXCLUSIVE ~ :D

Lets have me stop talking so you can get onto the interview - so excited:

What is your name and where do you reside?

I go by Vickybunnyangel and my full name is Victoria. I’m proud to be Canadian! I currently reside in Toronto and lovin’ it.

What first started you on the road to cosplay?

I was under the impression you had to cosplay if you went to anime conventions, so when the high school anime club president invited me to Anime North, I jumped right into it! Of course when I got to the convention scene I realized a good majority of people didn’t cosplay. Yeah, I admit to being gullible and naïve at the time, but I have no regrets. Cosplay is awesome!

How do you choose which characters you will Cosplay?

I first started out picking characters I really liked, or characters who had similar personalities to me, but nowadays I’m attracted to design over character. I don’t have a lot of time to watch anime/read manga/play games, so when I come across an image for a design I really like, I’ll research it further. It’s kind of like doing things in reverse. If I see a character from a game I like, then I’ll go play the game to figure out if I will like the character and gain better insight into their personality.

Even if I don’t like the personality of a character, I’ve moved beyond doing personalities that are comfortable to me. Cosplay allows me to be someone else, and I’m seeking to diversify my acting/modeling ability. It’s fun to be “that annoying person” or “that over-the-top enthusiastic person”, because it’s so unlike me.

The only characters I typically stay away from are super moe children. There’s no way I can pull off a child, so I don’t even bother.

You are very dramatic in how you pose for the camera. Did you have any formal training or was this just natural for you ?

Why thank you! ^_^

I haven’t had any training, but I wouldn’t say I’m born with that talent either. I used to be addicted to America’s Next Top Model, and Tyra gives a lot of modeling advice in every episode. If you can get past the catty drama, there is a lot of good tips to learn from that show! I was an Art History Major in university, and took a few courses in Classical Art. Studying the way master artists depicted the human body certainly helped me understand the theories behind aesthetics.

This sounds very narcissistic but I spend a lot of time in front of the mirror too. I study my own body and practice poses to see what works at what angle, and what just looks dumb. Anime characters can pull off a lot of poses that can be painful if you’re not a contortionist. I’ve been put in a lot of pain before after posing a certain way for a character, but if it delivers a kickass photo, then the momentary discomfort was worth it.

What conventions or shows have you cosplayed at and have you gotten any awards?

I’ve mainly cosplayed at Anime North, Fan Expo, Otakuthon and smaller local cosplay events in Toronto. In 2011, I ventured south of the border and started going to American conventions which included: Katsucon, Otakon, and Youmacon.

I’ve won several major awards at masquerades with the most recent win being Best in Show Workmanship for Yuko Ichihara at Youmacon 2011.

Has there been a favorite Cosplay over the years that you enjoyed doing and why?

Astharoshe Asran is so far still my favourite because of how challenging it was.

It was the first time I really wanted to go for something ambitious to test my own abilities. I didn’t follow any tutorials, and just solved the costume on my own. There was only one reference image for that dress, which allowed me to get creative with the way the rest of it looked.

I can’t believe how much attention that cosplay got, and how it continues to inspire so many people to do that character now. I see a lot of people using what I did as a reference, but that’s ok. It was a challenge that I had overcome and at the end of the day that is what satisfies me.

When not cosplaying, what do you do?

I work full-time in marketing and that pretty much takes up most of my time.

After work I play video games or watch anime with the boyfriend. My other pet hobby is cooking for bento boxes. On days where I don’t feel like sewing, I’ll try out a new recipe to make something yummy and cute for lunch.

For any aspiring cosplayers a little shy, what words of wisdom do you have for them to get started?

Stop asking “how” and just “do”.

Cosplay is often trial and error. In this age there are so many tutorials out there that didn’t exist when I first started, so my best advice would be to Google if you’re really looking for advice on how to make something.

Failing Google, just jump in and experiment. You will learn a lot by doing things yourself, and who knows? You might discover the next innovative technique to share with the cosplay community. If you’re not good at sewing, don’t let that be a barrier. Go with cosplays that can be put together from normal clothing, and learn to modify them a bit to be more accurate. You can also buy a lot of costumes online now, so anyone can participate and enjoy this hobby.

Where can we catch more of your Cosplay at?

I have a variety of online accounts, but I find the most interactive places to find me are:

Facebook | DeviantArt

On Twitter you will find a lot of mundane/angry tweets with some random cosplay tips thrown in.


Other accounts: World Cosplay | Cosplay.com | Curecos | Youtube

Our Photographers: Baron Karza | Eleventh Photograph | Eurobeat King | Fotofong | Jack Liu | Solartempest

Some Additional Cosplay Photographs











I want to thank Vickybunnyangel for taking the time to write to me and to the Photographers for the great photos that you get to see here today.

Want to be my next interviewed COSPLAY STAR? Drop me a line a bluedrakon (at) gmail (dot) com!

4 comments:

  1. Those pics taken are really very professional. Reminds me of wedding photoshoot. She's beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the cosplayers that I would swear is an actress. She really knows how to pose and brings that little extra to each of the shots.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much, bluedrakon for the interview! It was a lot of fun to answer your unique questions ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be the one thanking you for your time and the lovely photos. I am glad you enjoyed the questions and I am definitely looking to seeing more of your cosplay

      Delete

Don't just Read and Run, leave me a note about what you thought of the blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...